Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

Here is my theoretical question: we rent rooms under shared

Customer Question

Here is my theoretical question: we rent rooms under shared accommodation. A tenant pays $ 500 for the whole month of September 1st...but then for whatever reason, decides to move out before the month expires. Do we have to refund him the unused portion of the month?
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. Has a refund request been made in writing?
Customer: No
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. My wife argues that we should keep the unused portion of rent...I think it is morally wrong...
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

What province is this please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Debra; I just sent a notice to your website CANCELLING my request. The opening page says $ 5.00 but after I gave my credit card info, it says that I'd be charge a total of $ 52.00 once I get the answer !
I am requesting that my initial $ 5.00 be refunded and that my credit card be NOT charged. If you do, I shall dispute it with VISA. You should be more transparent about charges.
Please confirm that you are cancelling the charge.
Thanks.
Philippe Vitu