Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My 29 year old son lives in Saskatoon and has become

Customer Question

My 29 year old son lives in Saskatoon and has become unemployed. He has applied for EI, but is getting the run around as his former employer did not file his ROE. He had a falling out with his previous employer and she claims to EI that he damaged equipment and things and now the EI worker is asking my son to prove that he did not damage any equipment. How is it possible for them to demand for my son to provide info that has absolutely nothing to do with EI benefits? Do not know where else to turn.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Sorry, this is in Canada in the province of Saskatchewan...
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: don't know what you mean?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He supplied a T4 to them, upon request.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

The former employer is saying he was dismissed for just cause. If that is the case then he is not eligible for EI.

So whether he deliberately or negligently damaged equipment or other things is very relevant because if EI finds his dismissal was for just cause he won't get EI.

Does that clarify the law?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?