Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I have a few parking tickets from 16 years ago, when I asked

Customer Question

I have a few parking tickets from 16 years ago, when I asked the collection agengt the address, I remember that it was a street where there were no meters, you were allowed to park 1 hour. This was every Wednesday around the same time at a business meeting at work, because there was no parking lot and only 4 ,5 blocks of streets with no meters, we had no choice but to park there. Whe the meter officer would do his driving around he would mark the tire to monitor, we were 15 employees running out to move our cars to another location not to get a ticket. Then I remembered, because we protest about this, because we knew that the meter guy was having a great week knowing we would park there every wednesday like clockwork. We got upset was because no matter if we change location he would ticket us anyways. I remember we all protest and the city seen that it was no conensodence that it was happening to everyone with the same meter guy in the same area. Now and agency calls me out of the blue saying I owe these tickets, is this a scam, never thought Ottawa,Canada would be corrupt. I have no way of checking. We are talking about 5 tickets, total value of $365.
I knew this was a scam, when they said I owed a ticket for not having a drivers permit. I actually remember this one, the police office was rude , didn't give me a break, was actually going to the license bureau, he towed my car in the middle of winter, gave me a ticket, took my license. It cost me big time, to get my car was $400, renew my license with paying a fine. Now how would anyone be able to renew their license every year for 16 years if they still owed this ticket?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 3 months ago.

I just want to confirm that I am getting this right as it seems a bit bizarre.

You were just told now that you owe money from tickets from 16 years ago and they are saying you have to pay them now? And they are saying they will report you to the credit bureaus?

Expert:  Debra replied 3 months ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!