Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
70961067

I need to find a lawyer to talk to before 7:30 this evening,

Customer Question

I need to find a lawyer to talk to before 7:30 this evening
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Reported yes. I called the OPP last night. I am supposed to go in to do a video statement and I don't want to charge him anymore. He was my boyfriend. I love him, I don't want him to go to jail
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 2 months ago.

You are under no obligation to give a statement to police in these circumstances. Even though the police are expecting you to attend and will try to push you to come in to the stating to provide a statement, you are not required to do so. If you give a statement and truthfully tell them what took place, assuming there was a domestic incident, this statement can be used as evidence at trial. If you don't give a statement, the police will have less grounds to charge your boyfriend and it will likely be harder for the prosecutor to proceed with the case if charges are laid.

Hopefully that is of assistance.

Hopefully my answer was of assistance. If so, would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive credit for my services. Thank you

Sorry to bother you but would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive credit for my services. Thank you