How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100990
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old daughter has made allegations against me.

This answer was rated:

My 17 year old daughter has made sexual allegations against me. While I know I have never done such a thing, the process has been in the hands of child and family services for 6 weeks. Is there anything I can do legally. Furthermore should I get legal representation.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Manitoba, Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Allegations reported
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I've been told that there is nothing I can do other than wait for the investigation to be completed. But, its been 6 weeks already

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

There is nothing you can do in terms of making a statement at this point in time but yes, you most assuredly should be retaining legal representation.

If child protective services believes her they will be calling the police as well.

You should be consulting with a criminal lawyer at the least. Whether you need a family lawyer or not is yet to be seen.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I live in Canada so its child and family services. At this point I am not sure if I will be interviewed by them or police. Is your answer the same

I am a family lawyer in Canada. It is called different names depending on the jurisdiction.

I think you should have a brief consultation with a criminal lawyer to be ready in case you are contacted by them or the police.