Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I lease a home to a tenant who is operating a

Customer Question

I lease a home to a tenant who is operating a transitional-living business at the location. This tenant has 1 year remaining on a 2 year lease. I was recently informed that this tenant wishes to end her business and thereby the lease. She proposed a friend to "take over the lease" or some other proposition which has not been specified, other than this party wants to continue the same type of operations. I told my tenant that because I am leaving the country in a couple of weeks and then again in the next month, I cannot address this question until at least October. I also mentioned that her "proposal" was unsubstantial, as I have no qualifying information on this other party to begin to address her needs. Today, I was threatened with legal action unless I comply with her requests. How do I address this situation?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

What province are you in please?

What does the lease say about the right to assign it or to sub-let the space?

Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!