How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lease a home to a tenant who is operating a

Customer Question

I lease a home to a tenant who is operating a transitional-living business at the location. This tenant has 1 year remaining on a 2 year lease. I was recently informed that this tenant wishes to end her business and thereby the lease. She proposed a friend to "take over the lease" or some other proposition which has not been specified, other than this party wants to continue the same type of operations. I told my tenant that because I am leaving the country in a couple of weeks and then again in the next month, I cannot address this question until at least October. I also mentioned that her "proposal" was unsubstantial, as I have no qualifying information on this other party to begin to address her needs. Today, I was threatened with legal action unless I comply with her requests. How do I address this situation?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

What province are you in please?

What does the lease say about the right to assign it or to sub-let the space?

Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.


Related Canada Law Questions