Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

In the middle of a divorce; my ex-wife just started building

Customer Question

In the middle of a divorce; my ex-wife just started building a new luxury vacation property but she owes me 400,000 of matrimonial debt - owed immediately to the provincial government
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

I am not quite sure of the facts just yet.

Please let me know your province and the basic facts.

Then please let me know your specific question.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Alberta
I am a physician and my soon-to-be ex wife and I mutually owe around 800,000 back to the government and it is due in thenext few weeks. I am wondering about putting a lien on a luxury vacation property that she is building [worth about 1.6 million]
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

You cannot put a lien on the property unless you get a court order.

If this property is being built using matrimonial property and you start a lawsuit you could obtain and register a certificate of pending litigation on the title but that doesn't freeze the title. It is just a caution that tells others there is a potential lawsuit about the property.

But to out a lien on it to secure an interest you would need a court order.

Does that clarify the law?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?