Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I have recently gotten well from mental illness and

Customer Question

I have recently gotten well from mental illness and addiction I spent three months in a psychiatric unit last year and also a treatment centre very mentally ill at the time my settlement came in. My ex spouse who controls every aspect of my life still to the fact that I had to pretend I'm at the store to come in a parking lot and make this call would tell me that I needed to do these loans after I inherited the money that I got from my car accident and I never wanted to you he would bring me to the bank I would agree to a lower amount and he would always say this is how it's going to be he is also controlling me but my son as well he weighs him every morning and tells him he has to lose weight Towsen want to go for a bowel movement and tells him how he isn't doing well he also is has used my money to purchase a home which he let me live in but before we purchase the house we were supposed you put it in both our names and I still haven't been paid back I also think that there is more money that I don't remember because of my illness is there anything I can do about it there is records through the bank of what went in and went went out other than the cash that I gave him so is there anything I can do about it now that I'm healthy I have made an appointment to meet a lawyer I regarding child custody now can I bring up this is this a form of abuse if so what can I do
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: that I don't remember because of my illness is there anything I can do about it there is records through the bank of what went in and went went out other than the cash that I gave him so is there anything I can do about it now that I'm healthy I have made an appointment to meet a lawyer I regarding child custody now can I bring up this is this a form of abuse if so what can I do
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No I i'm not even allowed to take my son to the doctor but things are documented through the bank
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i'm not even allowed to take my son to the doctor but things are documented through the bankI'm in Canada Ontario
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 1 month ago.

this is absolutely a form of abuse. Now that you are healthy, I am glad to see that you are looking to meet with an attorney, ever so quietly. You can certainly go to the bank and make a request for records as long as you are on the account. Someone at the bank will print out as far back as you would like.

There are groups in your area that can help you with regards ***** ***** suffering that you are having to deal with because of your husband.
If you wish, I can send you a list of divorce attorneys in your area that may be able to help. Where in Ontario are you located?