Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

A general contractor is not paying me for my services. I

Customer Question

A general contractor is not paying me for my services. I have liened the home. Should I start a small claims action with the homeowner?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: BC
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have filed the lien and the homeowners have given me a letter of completion for my work.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the homeowner's and contractor's lawyers are negotiating the final payment to the contractor.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

If you are not getting paid then you have to sue.

And you have to sue both the homeowner and the contractor.

But unfortunately you cannot sue in Small Claims Court, rather you must sue in Supreme Court.

And when you start the claim you must get a Certificate or Pending Litigation which you then file on title as well.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?