Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My dad died and we have a family friend signed his death

Customer Question

my dad died and we have a family friend signed his death certificate which made him the next of kin, how do I change that? my Dad did not leave a will but I need to be able to access his insurance and estate.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: I actually live in Canada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know if I change the next of kin or what I can do to make me the excutor
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want to take the family friend's name off the death certificate and become the excutor because my dad did not leave a will. I gave him authorization because I was away when he died
Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

It doesn't matter what the death certificate says.

You have to apply to probate the Will.

The Court will grant you this over a family friend because the family friend will not be inheriting any of the estate.

So don't concern yourself with the death certificate but rather retain a lawyer to assist you in applying to be appointed the administrator of the estate.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

I am going to be but will address any follow-up questions you may have in the morning.

Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?