Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I could possibly be charged for "accusing" a tenant of being

Customer Question

I could possibly be charged for "accusing" a tenant of being a Pedophile. I I I had 2 strong disturbing visions on the same day about a 15yr girl I babysit. The associations of the mother was with a tenant in my building. The man has questionable sexual behaviours many of the woman here also questioned and discuss and complained about with the housing supervisor. I also had tried to have friendship and possible relationship but we both decided it was not a good physically medical decision....I'm in shock when again when the 2nd vision came through (mother's intutition) I thought I would see if the good church lady tenant would help me with it. There was a man there I questioned myself if I should speak and the threw caution to the wind. I had explained 1 1/2 yesr earlier I questioned this man in question about his criminal charges if his retired OPP officer could check out John's file. It seemed he felt uncomfortable with telling me anything. So now i got a call from me friend and he brings up this query about his record and is not sure if he had raped someone. So I say this information and admit this has nothing to do with my feelings but is to do with this girl is John sexually interested in this girl as he seemed to always perk up and mention her over her mother, something I noticed in observing him. "Is John a pedophile. I said the evidence isn't there because my friend was not sure that he could remember the previous charges that that was that and went upstairs. The trouble maker gossip man who was there I caught saying incorrect gossip with whom I approached in the moment and corrected him. he was clearly causing me trouble as this was now a month later when it happened. Could I be charged for accusing the John of being a pedophile. These ppl are always causing me trouble and John is the worst. So John rallied some naysayeers t
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: and and had a meeting about me. Housing said if I get charged she will evict me. There are ppl who will fight this with me bc they are in complete agreement with me on all matters
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm in Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: But you would know generally about accusations. I did not accuse him but I questioned if he was is there a difference to prove The police officeer made reprot to housing and housing is meeting officer tosee if they will lay charges
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are in this difficult situation.

Are you saying the police told you they may charge you for saying this person is a pedophile?

To whom did you make this accusation?

Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!