How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101002
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a case coming up between me and my landlord next

Customer Question

My name is***** have a case coming up between me and my landlord next month and I need a lawyer to represent me. I took my landlord to court.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: It's in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, I filed a complaint against them and they have served me their response, but I need a lawyer to go through the whole process with me and represent me.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will like to meet with the layer to go through my application and their response
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

The lawyers on this site cannot act for you.

I can answer your questions or I can suggest how to find a lawyer in Calgary.

If you want me to go ahead then please let me know how you wish for me to proceed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Debra, I need a contingent lawyer that can act for me. I will be happy if you can find one for me. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are some pictures that I want my lawyer to view regarding the case which cannot be done by phone because they are quite a bit and my landlord"s response too needs to be viewed.
Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry but there are not lawyers that will take a case like this on a contingency fee basis.

That is generally reserved for cases where the outcome is going to end in an award for significant damages such as in a personal injury case.

But there are lawyers that will not charge that much. A less experienced lawyer will have lower rates and you don't need a very experienced lawyer for a case against a landlord.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

***-***-**** in Calgary

When you call say you are looking for a lawyer that acts for tenants.

As well, there are legal aid clinics that specialize in tenant's rights. I suggest you contact Legal Guidance and ask for some help as to how to get some help with your case:

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Debra, I have tried the Lawyer Referral***********numbers severally but is always busy. I have tried the(###) ###-####number you just gave me and I only got the same result. Please can you send their address to me? I will go there first thing on Monday morning.
Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

100, 840 - 7th Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2P 3G2
Phone:(###) ###-####br />Fax:(###) ###-####br />*****@******.***


Mon-Thur: 9:00am to 4:30pm
Fri: 9:00am to 4:00pm

Also, they have a legal clinic that runs 7-9pm Monday to Thursday. You have to make an appointment.

Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?