Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

If one doesn't pay a lawyers fee that is over due and he has

Customer Question

If one doesn't pay a lawyers fee that is over due and he has a time line what can happen ?
WE have paid him $18,000 so far. It was in our understanding with him back in Dec 2014 that we would pay him half of his total ($36,000), as compensation, since we lost our case on a real estate transaction gone wrong. Long story but he heard half of an amount outstanding not on the total but agreed to it. We thought he agreed with our understanding. He has been asking for the remaining amount for a few months, my partner doesn't want to pay this final $5,900 on the grounds that he really did not support our case in many ways (won't go into it). This is the lawyers email from today:
" I’ll give you one last chance to settle these accounts. In order to achieve this result I will forgo invoice # 9170 of $1,672.89 and its interest, if account #9049 of $5,909.50 is paid before May 20th, 2017. Should you refuse or ignore my offer then we will file proceedings for the full amounts owed and interest on both accounts.
So what could be the worst case scenario if we don't pay and leave the interest accumulate ? What would you advise us to do ?
Thank you for your time
Yvette and MIke
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to here this?

When exactly did you first owe this money after the case was decided?

What province are you in please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we finished payments of $500 a month last May 2016. We had started payments in Sept of 2014. WE are from Quebec.Thank you
Yvette
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

I have a few more questions as I was thinking about this more.

Do you believe that you lost because the lawyer was negligent?

And are you saying that in terms of your agreement you do owe him the money but don't feel he earned it?

Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would like to cancel my request for feedback. I have gotten an answer from a source closer to home.thank you
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

I cannot cancel anything. I don't work for the site. Please contact customer service.

Thanks