Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Located in Ontario, Canada. I am salaries employee in a

Located in Ontario, Canada.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am salaries employee in a buisness. Stamdard workday is 8.5 hours with 1 hour allowed for lunch .
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Managaer is now starting to shedule more and more lunch meetings. Meetings during lunch with pizza provided. I usually will take my lunch break prior or after these "lunch meetings" because hey i am alreay ready workig am extra half hour for my "hour lunch". No one has ever said i cannot do these.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Am i wrong in doing so. I brought this up with Hr and their response was "but you get free lunch"

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are you being told that you cannot take your own lunch break before or after the pizza lunch.

Is the pizza lunch actually a meeting?

Is it mandatory to attend?

Are you paid by the hour?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mandatory to attend meeting. No on said we cannot take lunch before or after meeting. I usually do and i never get reprimanded. I am salary employee but do receive overtime pay when working past 8.5 hours.Pizza lunch is trainig session/meeting on how to use new aoftware program by oir supplier. It is formally called "lunch amd learn".

So if you are not reprimanded and you are not losing money what is your concern?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just due diligence.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am worried if ican get in trouble. Amd i would like to know if i am right in case boss complains

You for sure right because the lunch break is mandatory and required by the Employment Standards Branch. You cannot be forced to work through a lunch break and in fact you can be forced to take a lunch break.

If the meeting is mandatory and you are working through it you are entitled by law to a lunch break outside of that meeting.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?