Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

Mom passed leaving a will to all three of us. My sister has

Customer Question

Good Morning. Mom passed leaving a will to all three of us. My sister has held the total amount at bay since my moms demise in 2016. I ewceived one of the money from moms estate. It is only cash money.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This is in Ontario.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Continuing from my last message.. my sister has gotten herself a lawyer and is tying up the proper disbursement my mom trust to happen. This has now gone to a court and I have no idea what I should do. She has acted very unruly against the lawyer who was themoms Lawyer and of course had moms interest
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: in mind at al times. Now that he has tried every way he knows In disbursing this money (only) he has sent this to Ontario court.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is hard to read. Yes there is more. The lawyer disburses an amount of money to me but said he had to pass this on to the courts in Ontario. Lynn has a lawyer and she doesn't want anymore disbursed to me and my brother. I should have a large sm coming my way and she has prevented this from happening. She is a control freak and we have not spoken for years because of this. What happens now? Should I do anything on my behalf? Is the court going to take money from what I should be getting because of my sisters action? I have not given my moms disbursement lawyerany trouble whatsoever, where my sister constantly held back from settling this, not answering the phone when he called. She did not work at all to get this over with, as mom thought she would. I need to k ow where I stand, what my options are (please let me know in layman terms) how long this could take, everything I should be doing to support my cause and preparing myself for what may be coming.
She promised my mom she could see me as mom needed me and after mom was denighed any visits from me for a long time. She was moved to Lynn's house where no one could see her (being her home) and when she was Ina Retirement home, she would move my mom to another place. I looked so diligently for mom each time.
So she broke her promise to mom when mom made her Power of Attorney and mom died alone without her family by her side, which makes me sick inside.
Returning to the main purpose of sending this. What is next in regards ***** ***** court now involved? What time span are we talking about here. Will I have to prepare and be asked to attend court? I k ow the courts have to be paid but will the court be paid for the total amount of the money left? Approximately how much do they require.
You see everything is fulfilled except for my sister not agreeing to sign the disbursement papers. She has another lawyer. Does he get paid from her own money or does he get his pay from the monies we have not received at this point?
She will not speak to anyone in the family. Won't go outside and thinks she is being followed al the time when she does. She actually needs to be looked at professionally. But this is definitely not my area. Her actions are off the wall and have been for a very long time. Anyhow, I do feel sorry for her. Living like that would be terrifying.Thanking you for your time.Waiting for an answer. Please note my questions. These are all I have no idea what to do about. Do I just sit and wait, see what takes place? She hates me and am don't understand why.
Just know she has acted irradical for a very long time towards me.Judith Wilkinson.
Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry for your loss and to hear this.

Is your sister the sole executor of the estate?

I may have some more questions once I hear the answer to this question first.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. She was just Power of Attorney (P.O.T.) when mom was alive. All thee of us are to benefit financially from moms disbursement.
Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

Yes but who is appointed as executor under the Will. I understand the three of you are all equal beneficiaries.