Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

My question is this: Can my Filipino wife who lives in the

Customer Question

Hello, my question is this: Can my Filipino wife who lives in the Philippines use the Canadian Embassy or other agencies to force me to pay her more support than what she receives now?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Im in Alberta Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not that I know of.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so at this time.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 5 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

At this time, there is no reciprocity agreement between Canada and the Philippines regarding enforcement of support orders. Thus, she could go to court there and try to get an order that you pay more. I don't know if she'd be successful. But if she was, the governments of Canada and Alberta wouldn't be obliged to enforce that order.

Does that answer you? Please reply to me if there's more to discuss. If I've answered you fully may I please have a positive service rating? Ratings are how I get paid by the site for helping it's customers. I'd really appreciate it.