Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Is a hand written will legal in the province of BC? British

Customer Question

Is a hand written will legal in the province of BC?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: British Columbia , Canada
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Will is dated and signed by deceased wife
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

The law is that holographic Wills are not technically valid unless there are two witnesses.

But the law also gives the court great discretion and if it is found that the testator's wishes are very clear it is very likely that the court will consider the holographic Will as valid.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?