How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99931
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When a husband loses his wife, Is he eligible for a pension?

Customer Question

When a husband loses his wife, Is he eligible for a pension? And if so, how does he go about getting information to receive that pension?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I live in Edmonton and am just enquiring for a friend who never even heard of a spousal pension. He lost his wife about three years ago
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just a guide line as to how to direct him on how to get the information
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  EmplmntLaw1 replied 6 months ago.

He probably is. When a spouse forfeits the spousal right to pension in the election process, the spouse must specifically sign paperwork that he/she is waiving the right to collect that amount. If he doesn't recall signing such a document, he may have never done so. He should contact the pension plan and determine what their documents show are his rights to the pension. It is the spouse of the deceased that is responsible for contacting the plan in any event; not the plan's duty to contact the spouse.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  EmplmntLaw1 replied 6 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

This question just appeared on the Canada Law List.

I am happy to assist you.

Did you friend's spouse work in Canada?

Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.


Related Canada Law Questions