How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101460
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have a civil matter regarding a sled and missed payments by

Customer Question

Hi have a civil matter regarding a sled and missed payments by the renter of my sled
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Alberta canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Ive called rcmp and my bank and saught guidance of a lawyer and got all my bank statements i need and proof of his payements and all my owner info but nothings been opened yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

I am not sure of the facts.

Why did you call the RCMP and why did you call the bank?

How much does the renter of the sled owe you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He accused me of perlonging the loan and pocketing money (its a fixed loan for 60 months i cant change it) so i got my ducks in a row and called the bank for my statments proving the payments have been made and that i didnt change anything. Called the rcmp for guidance they told me i need to know the location of my sled (i havent seen it in 2 years and he wont tell me where it is)
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. As I am a lawyer in Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

I still need to know how much he owes you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I asked him to buy it out 2 years ago but his finaces werent in order so as it stands theres 10,087. Left owing to buy it out but he has 986.00 in missed payments i want before we follow thru with the contract i was informed to write for a renter using my sled
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

What you can do is send him a letter by Registered Mail. In the letter show him how you calculate what he owes you. Then give him a deadline for paying you the full amount (he is in default and so that is reasonable) and tell him that if he fails to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then be seeking interest and your costs.

You can then sue him in Small Claims Court and can self-represent and if it gets too far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
K i physically showed him everything and he rolled his eyes and refused to sign and said i was lying. But i also served him with other papers at the same time and he has not contacted me at all ive tried numerous times to get info regarding signing the contract but he wont say anything to me.
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Then sue him.