How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101048
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering if child support arrears owi g between the

Customer Question

I was wondering if child support arrears owi g between the period of 1993-2000 could be recinded because they ate so old?d
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ontario Canada Family law Act
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Motion filed to reduce to $0 im wondering if I should let it go because of the Limitations act before 2004
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Is there an order for the support?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just arrears owing at this point. No ongoing support.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Amt of arrears is 18,000 owed between 1993-2000. Kids are grown. Garnishing employment insurance so payor is in a tight situation
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

The limitation period as no relevance.

First it doesn't apply if there is a judgment or order. Second there is no limitation period for claiming support.

So there is no reason to let this go unless you want to.

It is not likely that support payor will succeed in court as this money is legitimately owing.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?