How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101453
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Been in a common law relationship for approx 14 years, it

Customer Question

Been in a common law relationship for approx 14 years, it has ended because of substance abuse on his part and cheating.there r 2 properties 1 which was purchased while together without my knowledge till it was bought with cash and the other the family residence how do we agree on separating this as I continue to live and pay all bills for the last 3 years at least here.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: He has always made the higher income and slowly stopped paying the at home bills and I had to work 3 jobs to do so even when we were still together
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Sask canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No tried to do it between the 2 of us but I have been getting texts from him stating he wants me to buy the house now from him
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We purchased the house together but I didn't have my name on it through loan only him
JA: Got it. I'm sure you'll come up with a good name.
Customer: He knows I'm not in a position to get a loan as I don't make enough right now to qualify with all other expenses I've taken responsibility for so I feel he's up to something not fair on my part
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are in this difficult situation.

In Sask common law spouses have the same legal rights and obligations that legally married spouses have.

That means that you will share equally in the value of all assets acquired during the marriage, aside from gifts and inheritances, regardless of whose name is ***** ***** or who contribute to the assets value.

So it may be that when you add up all the assets and see what they are worth you may be able to keep the house because the other assets may be of equal value and so he would keep them.

But if not then he has to pay you for half of the value of all the assets as they are in his name, and he keeps them.

So this is complicated as you can see and there is no doubt that your best next step should be to consult with a family lawyer face to face.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?