How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99972
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a speeding ticket and am scheduled to appear in

Customer Question

I received a speeding ticket and am scheduled to appear in court. At the time I was undergoing chemo therapy for breast cancer, my spouse was leaving me and my mother figure was dying, I had been given a new anti depressant to deal with this, I was returning home at the time. The officer didn't care. Is there any way I can contest a ticket based on this? Its for 237.00 which is alot when i am on benefits. Also I do not want the points added to my history. Please advise.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Halifax Nova Scotia canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have a summons to appear in court.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I go to the court to plea Jan. 6th guilty or not guilty. Can I plea not guilty on compassionate grounds?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this and to hear of all these difficulties.

These reasons would not be considered reasons for speeding which could endanger yourself and other people.

But what you can do in court is ask the police officer who charged you whether they would agree to have you plead guilty to a lesser speed where there are no demerit point. Police will usually agree and so will the Crown and the reason why is that they don't want to have a trial and take up the court's time.

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No thanks. I plead not guilty anyways and my date is Dec 2017. At that time I may request the lesser point violation. Thank you.
Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

Please keep me posted.

Also please rate me before you leave the site so that the site will release my portion of what you paid them to me.

Thanks and best of luck.

Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Law Questions