Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

In a commonlaw relationship what is the other party entitled

Customer Question

in a commonlaw relationship what is the other party entitled to I had my business and properties beforwe we got together but she says she is entitled to half of everything
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are in this difficult situation.

What province are you in please?

How long did you live together for?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
bc 9 years
Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

Your former spouse is not correct.

She is not at all entitled to half of everything.

She will share equally in all assets acquired during your relationship aside from gifts and inheritances.

But she will only share in the increase in value of your business and properties over the nine years.

So you would valuate what each of these assets was worth on the day you started to cohabit and again on the day you separated and if they increased in value she would share in the increase equally.

Does that explain the law clearly for you?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?