How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100977
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex is not willing to sign the consent letter for me to

Customer Question

hi my ex is not willing to sign the consent letter for me to bring the child travel oversea what can i do now
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ontario
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet I have final order which either of us need to consent when bring the child travel oversea, but not he is not cooporate
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing else, need to solve this issue
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Do you have an order for custody?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's joint custody
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. As I am a lawyer in Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

Does the order say anything about traveling outside the jurisdiction.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Need consent from either parent
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Does the agreement or order talk about dispute resolution?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, it did not
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Then unfortunately your only option is to go back to court to seek an order allowing you to travel with the child.

You will have to show that there is no chance you won't return and that the trip is in the child's best interests.

I am sorry that I don't have an easier solution for you.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?