Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

My children and I had to flee my husband over a dozen years

Customer Question

My children and I had to flee my husband over a dozen years ago due to child and spousal abuse. I have had no contact with him since. Does this mean that in the eyes of Canadian law that we are automatically divorced?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Actually, I am in Canada, Edmonton, Alberta.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will this cost me?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this horrid situation.

Are you afraid to contact him now?

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Did you get a chance to read my question to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course. I could answer your actual question now and in one short sentence but I wanted to be able to offer more than that.

Thanks!