Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have an RV lot in BC that is a lease. The lease holder was

Customer Question

I have an RV lot in BC that is a lease. The lease holder was foreclosed on with an order absolute. The guy that got the land back is now selling it to someone else. The person buying it wants a transfer fee for the lease or he won't honour them. Does the lease stay with the property. It was a 50 year lease?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: British Columbia Canada. As far as I know they did not register the leases
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not sure what you are asking?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to find out if the lease is still valid
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Yes. The lease does stay with the land. It cannot be terminated early.

The only way to do so would be if the tenant agrees.

Does that answer your question fully?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
they want a $5000.00 transfer fee to have the lease named with the new company that owns the land. It this legit?
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

No.

The tenant does not have to pay a thing.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?