How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100017
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Had a house guest staying whilst I worked up north on a

Customer Question

Had a house guest staying whilst I worked up north on a rotation basis. Internet usage was heavy and expensive but was being paid by guest in earlier months. The last few months not at all and I'm stuck with 40% of total $2200 internet data use and long distance phone bills as guest has conveniently moved and refused to make payment. Should I have charges laid against or is this more of a civil small claims matter?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This occurred in Calgary, Alberta. Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not at this point which is why I'm seeking advice as my attempt to address this matter was met with refusal and denial in spite of their stated intent to pay for all usage.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Obviously I'm dealing with an irresponsible internet addict.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

There is no likelihood of being able to get this person charged. This is considered to be a civil matter.

So what you can do is send this person a letter by Registered Mail. In the letter set out the facts, including the fact there was an agreement for them to pay these costs and then give them a deadline for paying you in full.

Tell them if they fail to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest and you costs.

You can then sue them in Small Claims Court and can self-represent. If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?