How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99972
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm from Quebec. I have an ex that is constantly posting my

Customer Question

I'm from Quebec. I have an ex that is constantly posting my picture on cheating websites and saying that I'm a cheater amongst other awful words. I don't know what to do. Please help.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this terrible situation.

Is your ex spouse posting nasty opinions or actually telling lies about you?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He's telling lies. I'm a local comedian and he's saying things like I slept with many people and comics to become famous. He's also writing things like I'm a cheater and have him an std and things like that. It's all false.
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

That is ridiculous and so malicious.

So what you can do is have a lawyer send him a cease and desist letter. The letter will demand a full written retraction that he can be required to post online and an apology. It will also threaten a lawsuit.

If the letter does not work then you can sue and seek damages as well as the retraction and even a restraining order.

Does that help as starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can the lawyer prove that it's him posting it on those websites? By tracing his IP address? I'm asking because he's posting it as anonymous.
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

The lawyer can get an order from the court requiring the internet service provider to trace the IP address.

Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Law Questions