Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Can a dental company place a debt in your name and report it

Customer Question

Can a dental company place a debt in your name and report it on your credit bureau without anything in writing indicating I am responsible for the debt or with getting verbal consent directly from me indicating I wold take responsibility for the bill
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: I am actually in Canada I live in Alberta the dental office is in ontario It started approximately 3 years ago
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The debt has been reported to my credit bureau and has been placed with a collection agency
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My daughter was under the care of her grandparents they made the appointment took her to the appointment and paid all previous bills except this one they verbally told the dentist I was responsible to pay with out showing anything in writing to confirm this.. the dental company never contacted me to ask if I was taking responsibility and refuse to remove the debt from my name and place it in the grandparents name .. can they legally do this
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Where did the get the idea that you are responsible for this debt?

How much money do they say you owe?

When exactly did the work get done on your child?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The grandmother verbally told them I was responsible with out providing any proof I was indeed responsible for the debt .. original debt was around 304.00 and is now around 420.00 because of interest ... this debt is around 3 years old as they have refused to remove it from my name and are unwilling to deal with me in a professional manner ..
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How to I have this debt removed from my credit bureau and have it updated showing this was an incorrect debt... are they legally allowed to put he debt in my name without any written confirmation indicating I am responsible or with out any verbal confirmation from my self taking responsibility for the debt ....
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. As I am a lawyer in Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

I am sorry for the delay. I had a meeting that started earlier than I had planned unfortunately.

First, you should know that they cannot sue you for the money even if you did owe it as the limitation period for suing you is two years.

Second, what you can do is go through the formal complaints process with the credit bureau. Explain the facts as you did in your post now but do it in much more detail. Make sure you explain that you were not the child's legal guardian at that point, you never took the child to the dentist, you never spoke to the dentist and most assuredly did not agree to pay any fees.

Make it clear that the debt is simply not yours.

If that doesn't work have a lawyer send a letter to the dentist indicating that if your credit rating is not improved immediately by the removal of the report you will sue the dentist for damages for harming your credit rating.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No thank you for ur advise
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome.

Could you please rate now so that I can get paid. I know you have a subscription and so have paid to ask multiple questions but I still don't get paid without a positive rating.

Thanks and enjoy your weekend.