Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My father has Continuing Power of Attorney for Property for

Customer Question

Hello, My father has Continuing Power of Attorney for Property for elderly friend and another person has power of attorney for personal care. The elderly friend is in a retirement home and my father is afraid finances are at jeopardy as the friends care needs have greatly increased and would like to apply to LTC (private room while she can afford it). However, the POA for personal care refuses. The retirement home states they will on act on the POA for personal care wishes. Is this true - does my father have any recourse.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry for the delay. I had sent up an answer but I can see it did not post. Here it is again.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Did your father state that he would not be able to continue to pay for the room?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My father is using the elderly friends funds from the sale of her house. And while it seems a lot - this elderly friend may live a long time and the Retirement home is 8K per month.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi -- when you said "here it is again: I see no response? sorry - I can not use the call function no access to telephone.
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I don't know what is happening with this post. There is a glitch.

Your father is not in charge of the care. But he is most assuredly in charge of the finances.

He should tell the home and the person in charge of the care and anyone else involved that he he is paying for and what he is not for a private room. There is not an unlimited amount of funds and this friend chose and trusted him and not the other person to decide about finances.

So he cannot make care decisions but he is the one paying for the care and they all have to understand that.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.