How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100383
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father has Continuing Power of Attorney for Property for

Customer Question

Hello, My father has Continuing Power of Attorney for Property for elderly friend and another person has power of attorney for personal care. The elderly friend is in a retirement home and my father is afraid finances are at jeopardy as the friends care needs have greatly increased and would like to apply to LTC (private room while she can afford it). However, the POA for personal care refuses. The retirement home states they will on act on the POA for personal care wishes. Is this true - does my father have any recourse.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry for the delay. I had sent up an answer but I can see it did not post. Here it is again.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Did your father state that he would not be able to continue to pay for the room?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My father is using the elderly friends funds from the sale of her house. And while it seems a lot - this elderly friend may live a long time and the Retirement home is 8K per month.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi -- when you said "here it is again: I see no response? sorry - I can not use the call function no access to telephone.
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I don't know what is happening with this post. There is a glitch.

Your father is not in charge of the care. But he is most assuredly in charge of the finances.

He should tell the home and the person in charge of the care and anyone else involved that he he is paying for and what he is not for a private room. There is not an unlimited amount of funds and this friend chose and trusted him and not the other person to decide about finances.

So he cannot make care decisions but he is the one paying for the care and they all have to understand that.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Related Canada Law Questions