How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100468
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Studied 2 different one year program with a 2 year study

Customer Question

studied 2 different one year program with a 2 year study permit in Canada, after completion of both certificates I sent in my application for a working permit after graduation and I was given only one year to work in Canada. I am well aware that if you study 2years in Canada you are given 2/3 years of working permit.. Sir/Madam I just want to know where I went wrong... I feel like such a disappointment to everyone and It will help so much if i know whats going on.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

This is not about the length of the work permit and that is where you may be confused.

It is about the length of your program. The length of the post-graduate work permit is based on the official length of your program and you were not in a two year program.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
both programs where from september to April, it is 2 different certificates. if someone was in a 2 year program the length of the program will be the same as mines. they will have 4 semester and so did I. I was given the opportunity to change my program when I came to canada. I was told by my school that it doesnt matter if I study 2 one year program.. I will be qualified for a 2/3 year program because i am legally going to school for 2 different certifcate with the same length as someone who studies for a length of 2 years diploma.
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

I don't know why that school said that but it is not what CIC says unfortunately.

But did you try and appeal?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no i did not because I received my respond yesterday so I am making calls and visiting the school. I know this is not right. I studied 2 different program same length as a 2 year program and wasnt granted a work permit for 2/3 years. can you please advice me on what to do.
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

What I suggest you do is consult with a local immigration lawyer and have the lawyer write a letter on your behalf to CIC explaining that you took two one year programs instead of taking one two year program but the programs were continuous, you didn't leave in the middle etc and you therefore want them to review your eligibility for a longer PGWP.

I don't know if it will work but it is worth a shot.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If I do get this to work I will be super happy. I know your job is to help people like me. I've being depressed for the past 2 days because it's not fair I had a tough 2 year.
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

It is not fair but I am concerned that the school gave you the wrong information.

But a lawyer who knows the ins and outs and may even know who to call or write will be your best bet of getting this resolved.

I am so sorry this happened to you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am working on that. Thank You so much for helping me. I really appreciate your help
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome.

Could you please let me know what happens? The post won't lock after you rate me so you can come back at any time.

Thanks and best of luck.

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Law Questions