How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100401
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it customary for a lawyer to prolong a divorce in order

Customer Question

is it customary for a lawyer to prolong a divorce in order to collect more money. All family assets do not exceed $177,00.00.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: It is in the province of Alberta, Canada. Peace River to be exact.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes. this lawyer has been at this since March 19,2016
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Are you saying you believe your lawyer is trying to make up hours to bill you rather than settle this quickly?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is my belief. I have provided my lawyer all paper work and she keeps asking for the same information over and over again. Each time she attaches a invoice. What can I do?
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

You can fire her.

Either she is incompetent or worse and is acting in a manner that can cause her to loose her licence.

If she is asking for things more than once, on more than one occasion that is a bad sign. To bill for it is unethical and unlawful.

I suggest you at least go for a second opinion.

It is not a long time for working on a family law file and so I am not considering the fact that this has been going on since March as sadly that is standard.

But you don't sound like you are being taken care of properly and you don't have confidence with your lawyer which is vital.

Did you know that you can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or
***-***-**** in Calgary

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Law Questions