How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99945
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got fired today because i was caught stealing store

Customer Question

hello i got fired today because i was caught stealing store credit.. will it go on my record?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: it is in canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes they are filing a police report and i had to fill out a police statement
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i said i would payback.. its about 350$
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Is this your first offence?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Because this is your first offence it is possible that you will be offered diversion. That is where the Crown agrees for you to make amends to society in an alternative way such as by making a donation or doing community service. If the Crown agrees to this approach once you complete your requirements the Crown will withdraw their charges. That would mean you would not end up with a criminal record.

However, because this was not something like a shoplifting case but because you were in a position of trust it is possible that the Crown will consider this to be more serious and will not agree to diversion.

If that is the case and you are convicted you may end up with an absolute or conditional discharge which would mean that in somewhere between 1 to 3 years you would no longer have a record.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Related Canada Law Questions