How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101443
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A What can u do if your name is on boyfriends car and

Customer Question

A What can u do if your name is ***** ***** car and insurance is in your name .and you your name off but he will not surrender the papers and has hid them
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Canada B.C.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

I'm not clear of the facts.

Are both of your names on his car?

Have you separated?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Only my namewe do not live together
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Feel cannot separate till name is ***** *****
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

So why is his car in your name?

Who is paying for it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He has outstanding tickets cannot get insurance iInsurance in my name he pays 8s paid for
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

So is he saying he won't take your name off as then he cannot get insurance?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Im not that stupid its actually a question for my daughter.
its in her name simply because he wanted it to be in her name.
I guess so.he cant get insurance.please what can be done to get him to forfiet these papers?
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Oh dear. It was not a great move on her part but that's what our kids do for love I guess. Sigh.

There is not likely much you can do. He and your daughter clearly entered into an agreement where he would buy a car, pay for it, pay for the insurance and it would be his, but it would be in her name.

So now she cannot go back on the agreement as it will harm him. If the car is transferred into his name he cannot get insurance so he cannot drive it.

And if she takes her name off the insurance and he is in an accident as it is legally her car she would be liable and be sued.

So she can ask him to get a parent or sibling to agree to take the car in their name but otherwise I don't see how this can be easily resolved.

If he stops paying for the insurance then he has breached the agreement ad that is then another fact situation entirely and then she could succeed.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?