Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My daughter and her boyfriend are behind on the rest. by 2

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: my daughter and her boyfriend are behind on the rest. by 2 months i believe.The landlord has turned off the hot water and the heat is this leagal they had made a verbal agreement that he would forgive the past rent due to health issues of the boyfriend. My daughter does not work at this moment. she stays at home with the baby.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: oh this is a usa site. thought it was canadian we live in quebec
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Broken fridge that took three months to fix
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

No it is not legal to turn off the hot water and the heat. It is unlawful.

He could have evicted them but cannot do that now because he agreed to forgive the rent that was owing.

So they should immediately send the landlord a letter explaining the law and making it clear they will sue him for damages.

And before doing that they should call the Regie that will explain the law a bit more and tell them just what to do with this landlord.

I am sorry this has happened to them.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Legal Ease,
thank you so much for your help
I did not think it was legal but did know that a verbal agreement and hand shake were binding.
have a great day.
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome.

Please be sure to rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work.

Thanks and take good care.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can I ask another question?
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Please rate this post now.

Then please start a new post. You can say this question is for Legal Ease.

Then I will answer right away.

Thanks