Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

The company I hired to do work on my house uses

Customer Question

The company I hired to do work on my house uses subcontractors. One of the guys broke into my house, presumable to do work, because I was not home to let him in. There was no scheduled appointment and my house was locked. I came home and found him inside the house and he told me he went in through the window. Is he guilty of any crime?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I am not sure I understand the facts. Are you saying this person was told that he was doing work on your house at some point, just showed up and when you were not home entered without permission through a window?

When you found him there what was he doing?

What did you do?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He was in the bathroom, the room getting worked on. He admiteed to me that the front door had been locked so he got in through a window. I left to go complain directly to his boss
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I would absolutely say this is in an offence.

Some stranger entered your house through a window without your consent.

I don't see how it matters whether he was intending to steal things, snoop around or do valid work.

Did the RCMP not agree?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?