How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ifi have a truck I been paying for but its in my betterhalfs

Customer Question

ifi have a truck I been paying for but its in my betterhalfs name what options do i have to keep the truck if the realationship goes sout
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: its in Canada Alberta truck is a n2013
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that my gF showed up here to go for a beer then 2 thugs come out and said we are taking the truck...i was dumbfounded
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

OK, so the two guys took the truck? And it's in her name?

I assume that you're separating? When did this happen? Are you married?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not married but we bought 2 trucks together 1 plus yrs ago
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

If her name is ***** ***** the ownership of the truck then it's hers.

Obviously, you're entitled to a share of the equity in it, as part of the other division of property and debt issues, and not at least due to the money you've put into the truck which you can obviously prove.

You asked what options you have to keep the truck. You have no options. It's her truck.

But if you two agree that she transfer it to you as part of your property and debt division settlement then maybe you'll wind up with it. Although I usually recommend to my clients that they try to get the cash, pensions, real estate, and investments rather than the depreciating assets like vehicles and furniture.

You should go see a lawyer soon to make a proposal to her on the financial issues.

Does that make sense?