How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99916
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own two properties in Canada, main reason I have invested

Customer Question

I own two properties in Canada, main reason I have invested them is for the purpose of my daughters. One property is on my name and other property is on my name and wife's name. How do I make sure my properties are protected for my kids if my wife is filing a divorce? My brother-in law's plan is to have those properties sold so that the money can be used for starting new businesses in India.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is for Legal Ease. Thank you,
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

You cannot protect the properties for your children. You and your spouse share in the value of all these properties because you are legally married.

But if there are properties in her name back home the court will give you more of the properties in Canada to be fair as the court cannot make an order for the properties back home.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I made my wife as beneficiary for both the properties.
As I have hard earned and to protect our financial status for our family, is there a possibility to write agreement that in case of separation my wife is not entitled to my properties but my kids can.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Actually my wife was not working but I alone was working for our family since our marriage.
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Yes that is perfectly possible.

But you must be sure that your wife has independent legal advice.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What can we call those agreements? How to prepare them?
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

The agreement is a domestic contract. If you are not separating it is really a marriage contract.

You have to retain a family lawyer in your city to draft the contract. Then your spouse has to take it to her own lawyer, also a family lawyer in your city.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Legal Ease, I will let you know for more information.
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Then please rate me now so that I can receive credit for this answer.

Thanks and enjoy your weeekend.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Should I be waiting to see if you need my any further?

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I am very puzzled. Can you explain what is going on?

You have not yet rated me on this post yet you are starting new posts.

But more than that on another post were I answered you and you gave me a five star rating you've now asked for a refund.

That money just was debited from my account.

I don't understand why you did this nor why you are not rating me here. I doubt you think I should work for free so please explain.

Related Canada Law Questions