How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101416
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need law advice from a divorce lawyer and I don't have

Customer Question

I need law advice from a divorce lawyer and I don't have money for a retainer. What can I do? My ex husband and I have been legally separated for almost 6 years now. At the time, I was not well emotionally and I accepted his personally drafted separation agreement with below minimal payments even though he makes between 3 to 5 times more money than me. I have the two children 60% of the time as he works out of town. He use to help me out more when I would ask but now he has a new live in girlfriend so he no longer helps out with the extras. I need to ensure the kids and I are being treated fairly and I fear this will not happen without added legal advice.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in the province of Ontario, Canada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm drowning financially
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Did you not get any legal advice yet at all?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I have never spoken to a lawyer.
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or(###) ###-####(within the GTA)

Because you did not have independent legal advice and because the contract was not fair it is possible that a court would set it aside.

Your first step should be to see a family lawyer for a free consultation even if you cannot afford to retain the lawyer.

Some lawyers will agree to a payment plan.

As well some lawyers will agree to coach you while you self-represent and that will not cost very much.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?