How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100030
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently separated. I receive $600 in child support

Customer Question

I am currently separated. I receive $600 in child support from my ex. My 18 year old daughter is still in high school. She is who I receive the child support for (as long as she's in school) she moved in with her boyfriend ( on again off again) and now the ex stopped paying support. Is that legal?? I do have a lawyer I will be consulting but I just wanted to know.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Are you saying she has moved out of your home?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She is staying at her boyfriends. She still attends high school. She is not working. Her name is ***** ***** the lease.
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

If she has moved out of the house she no longer has the right to receive child support. It is not that she is attending school full-time it is that the law is that she has to be living at home.

You don't have the right to receive support when she is not living with you.

I am sorry that is not the answer you were hoping for.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's okay. I just thought because she is still in school. I thought the separation said that. Nothing about being at home. He paid while my other daughter lived 8 hours away going school. Thanks for the clarification :)
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Yes support continues if a child lives away at school during the school year but comes home for the summer.

If the child had moved out permanently then it would not have.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Law Questions