Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Is it ok to post a video online of ppl vandalizing our

Customer Question

Is it ok to post a video online of ppl vandalizing our property on Halloween night and stealing all our candy (we saw it through our home security surveillance system)? We saw ppl dressed up in costumes and posted it to a town Facebook page hoping that the parents of these ppl would see it and teach them a lesson about respect. We were unsure of their age and have no idea who they are. Are we within our right even if they're minors? There is a sign on our porch that clearly states our home is under 24 hour video surveillance. And it's private property. We've since deleted the video but hope that we haven't done anything wrong. We live in Alberta (Canada).
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

You do not do anything unlawful by making the recording or posting it online.

The law is that the recording is not unlawful if there was no reasonable expectation of privacy and there certainly was not as this in the public essentially while on your property and you had a sign warning about surveillance.

There is no ownership of someone's image and so you are permitted to post an image of anyone you find out in public.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What if the vandals are minors? We've since heard that they are teenagers...
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

It doesn't matter. You can take videos of kids out in public and post them online. There is nothing unlawful about that.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is it considered public if it's our private property?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is also audio on the video, does that make any difference?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Does that mean we can't get sued for posting it?
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

It is private property open and accessible to the public.

It doesn't matter because your own security cameras are there for your own security and they entered onto your property and the signs warned them.

You can get sue but not successfully.