Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I worked at a golf course for 27 years I received note to

Customer Question

I worked at a golf course for 27 years I received note to file,it said elimination of full time mechanic position due to declining club membership and golf course is fiscally restructuring. They haven't offered another job as know in spring I asked for a wage increase and they told me I'm overpaid,but they still gave me a 1% wage increase. They are giving me 8 weeks severance but a couple hr persons told me to get a lawyer as I'm entitled to at least 1 to 2 weeks severance for every year worked,they also haven't paid me any overtime or vacation pay for 12 years. I have never been written up or disciplined for 27 yrs. I was responsible for maintaining all grounds equipment,involved in purchasing new leased equip, as well as ordering all parts ,oil and gas ,overlooked the building of a new maintenance facility over 10 yrs ago, I think the main reason I'm getting let go is I don't click with the GM. This is probably the reason more than likely my job was terminated. I've had a good relationship with the last 4 managers until the latest one arrived and took over approximately 4 yrs ago, Should I seek help from a reputable labor lawyer in wpg.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you saying they have been clear and that all you are going to get are the 8 weeks?

Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All I'm going to get is the 8 weeks of pay or severance as they call it . Thanx
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

That is not the least bit acceptable.

You are entitled to receive reasonable notice or pay in lieu of notice.

Generally, in determining what is reasonable notice Courts look at several factors including the length of time you worked for the employer, your age, your position, the likelihood of finding new employment etc.

At the high end, if you were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment. If you were not in a managerial position the Court would order somewhat less.

Either they don't know the law or don't care.

I suggest you see an employment lawyer face to face as you best next step.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?