Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
70961067

I mistakenly posted a bus pass for sale just to see how much

Customer Question

I mistakenly posted a bus pass for sale just to see how much it's worth because I was doing my own study whether post secondary bus passes are worth its cost or not.
I didn't realize that it is not transferrable (says on the back of the pass) and read that reselling it can be considered fraud and hence criminal. I honestly had no idea that posting a photo of a bus pass could be considered criminal or illegal?
I live in Manitoba, Canada.
I read on news that students were prosecuted by Transit police or undercover police for that.
I posted it on kijiji and the ad has now been removed after a couple days.
I need to know whether this is a serious situation or not? It's a bus pass worth maybe $100.
What can I do to protect myself?
A few people emailed me and asked for price but I never sold it to anyone.
Kijiji wrote me an email saying that the bus pass ad has been removed due to someone complaining (I assume the local Transit corporation).
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here is the article on the bus pass and the resulting consequences from reselling it (BC).http://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/undercover-police-to-target-u-pass-sellers-1.1089156
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 8 months ago.

If you have taken it off (or if Kijiji removed it), then that's all that can be done at this time.

I cannot see this case escalating since it's such a minor matter and it's not as though you're at the station secretly trying to sell fake passes. Transit police would probably then charge you if they saw you doing that, but to post it on kijiji and have it taken down shortly after, and not have any dishonest or fraudulent intentions, this matter really shouldn't proceed any further. If you tried posting it again and again, that would be a different story, but since the ad is down and the pass was never sold, it is almost certainly not worth everyone's time and money to find you, charge you, and prosecute you.

So to answer your question, to protect yourself all that can be done has been done in taking the ad down, and no relatively speaking it's not a serious situation.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Hopefully my answer was of assistance. Would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive compensation for my services. Thank you very much.

Sorry to bother you but would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive credit for my services. Thank you.

Hopefully my answer was of assistance. Would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive compensation for my services. Thank you.

Was there anything further, or any reason you have not yet provided me with a positive rating?