My landlord had put the loft I rent on the market, and then

Customer Question
took if off the market...
My landlord had put the loft I rent on the market, and then took if off the market on August 1st and send me a letter stating that they wont' put it back on the market for a year. I acted accordingly, and now she has gone back on her word and listed the loft again. Am I right to think that the letter she sent me is binding?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Ontario, Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, my rights as a tenant in this situation
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/31/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that this happened to you.

Do you have a fixed term lease?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Open lease.
Lived here 10 years
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

The letter she sent you is binding. She lured you to agree to live in the home by assuring you that you had at least one more year.

I suggest that you have a lawyer send her a letter stating that you are considering that you have a fixed term lease and will not move out at least until the year has passed and that you will fight any eviction and let all potential buyers and agents know that you have a one year lease.

Does that help as a starting point?

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. As I am a lawyer in Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer