How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100008
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you sue in for pain and suffering due to defamation and

Customer Question

Can you sue in Albert for pain and suffering due to defamation and harassment
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Canada this is USA?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I went to the police to get help with the defamation and postings on the internet and then the couple charged me with harassment and only because I went to the police first. They didn't help me but I was arrested. It was false. No proof. Just general statements. I accepted a peace bond so I didn't have to face them. I left my job and suffered for over a year. I want justice.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I can sue for the pain and suffering due to them defaming my character and publishing it to a website that will forever be there. It's all false statement and mean words coming from a jealous girl. They made me abort my baby. And threatened me many times. Somehow I was the one arrested. I want to recover my wages that I lost, the pain and suffering, lessened my quality of life and traumatized me forever. i cannot get a hold of the website ( where it was posted with pictures they stole from my personal Facebook page) or google and other search engines to remove ether link to my name.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this awful situation.

Did you lose your job because of this?

What you mean when you say they made you abort your baby?


Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Long story. The guy and I dated for approximately 7 months. Dated 12 years earlier. He wanted a baby with me I said yes. We got pregnant I find out he is living a double life and I am the mistress. I ended it and contacted him to talk about the baby and he said if I kept this baby they would make my life a living hell forever. I have two kids and couldn't let them have that life. He said if I wanted them off my back I would have to have the abortion. I did. I became severely depressed and anxious. Sick. Had to leave my job as I was scared to be out in public. Was just basically doing what the kids needed and nothing extra. I had to move because they knew where I lived. I had no idea where they lived except the name of the town. I have had to start over, deal with pain and suffering that did and still is affecting our lives. Everyday someone could type my name into the computer and they will see lies and revenge but my kids don't deserve to read that about their mom. There has to be something that prevents people from posting lies and where I live and that I have kids and giving out my phone number "to better help find a daddy for my kids" is the reason this girl Tabitha responded to the complaints I put into law enforcement. The cops questioned her about my complaint and then she taunted me on the same website telling me not word for word that they can do what they want
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I am saddened to hear that.

But you cannot sue him for the abortion or lying to you.

You can sue him for damage to your reputation if he told lies on the Internet about you and that harmed your reputation. But he had to say lies and not just a sickening opinion. You cannot sue someone for being despicable.

If he told actual lies about you then your next step is to retain a lawyer who has to send him a letter demanding a retraction and apology and damages and threatening a lawsuit. You cannot sue for defamation unless this letter is sent first.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had to pay for a lawyer after being arrested infront of my neighbours (which we all lived in attached houses) being detained for One hour and 45 minutes begging for a any explanation as to why this was happening. What they accused me of was false and could be proved easily (they said I was in their toWn at a time where I could prove I was at work) and because I could not afford to go to trial I had to accept a peace bond. I was the victim and the police failed me and my kids.
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry about that but you actually cannot sue for defamation for lies to the police. For some reason that is an exception when suing for defamation.

You can sue for harassment and defamation.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Who decides if this has damaged my reputation? On top of lying and publishing to the world my number one complaint is why do I have to have that as a reference online for the rest of my life, my kids life and generations to come. They don't deserve to know me by lies made up by a hurt woman. I don't deserve to have to explain that when my employment researchres their employee.... how do I safely get that justice. Im not violent or want to fight. I want fairness.
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

The judge decides but when the defamation is libel which is defamation in written form there is a presumption that you suffered damages.

You get justice by hiring a lawyer and suing for defamation.

Related Canada Law Questions