How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My common-law spouse purchased commercial shortly after he

Customer Question

my common-law spouse purchased commercial shortly after he and his children moved in with me 13 years ago. I was in a divorce settlement suit at the time and was advised not to be put on title but could be later. Now my spouse says the properties are not mine and I have to purchase shares....which I do not have money for. I have always seen these properties as jointly ours and now he is unwilling to give me %50 shares. My divorce lawyer said he would argue that I am entitled to half of everything gained during the common-law relationship so I guess I am better to divorce this man, even though I don't want to, but it seems the only way to gain my half of everything. Any suggestions? Do I have to buy shares? At what value? Thank you
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Are you separated at this point?

Are the properties owned by his company or business?

Were you involved in that business?