How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101458
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother was Canadian, my father American. Both are

Customer Question

My mother was Canadian, my father American. Both are deceased. I was born in the USA. Can I get dual citizenship American/ Canadian?
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.

You already have dual citizenship.

Because you are born in the US you are automatically an American citizen.

Because your mother was Canadian when you were born you are automatically Canadian. You simply have to apply for proof of citizenship. You can do so here:

Once you get proof you can then apply for a Canadian passport if you wish to get one.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you. What then would be the status of my children, born in the USA ?
Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.

They would not be Canadians as they are in the second generation born abroad and so the rule doesn't apply to them. It just applies to the first generation born abroad.

Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?