How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100946
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a desperate mother of a ADHD drug addicted 16 year old

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a desperate mother of a ADHD drug addicted 16 year old and I have been seeking help for my child for many years. He just got in trouble with the law this weekend and I want to send him to a camp for him to get help but he does not want to go, he sais he has no problem, I have tried talking to him but he get's more and more agressive and I am getting scared. we can't force him but there must be someone out there that can make him go! Please help!
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Th
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm in Canada! I will try something else, thanks
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He did one month in a "Boot" camps called Venture Academy and we took him out to fast! It did a lot of good at first but then got into another gang and now he is getting out of control and we can't force him to go back to camp.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

What province are you in please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

At 16 your child is not yet an adult but he does have the legal right to move out of your house and you should be aware of that.

There is likely no way to force him to go to a camp he doesn't want to go to because even if you take him to the camp they cannot legally keep him their against his will as they are not a psychiatric facility.

If someone is a danger to themselves or others then they can be hospitalized involuntarily in a psychiatric facility. I suggest that as a first step you talk to your family doctor about signing the form that will hospitalize your son for an assessment.

If that doesn't work you can call the police if he becomes aggressive and ask if they will do the form.

The other possibility is going before a JP and asking the JP to sign the form.

I wish I had better options for you but as he is 16 he is beyond the jurisdiction of the Children's Aid Societies unfortunately.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?