Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Is it possible for the beneficiary of an estate in Benn to

Customer Question

Is it possible for the beneficiary of an estate in Benn to be held for debt against the estate?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The person is being held in Nigeria. They are holding her papers until she pays the debt. Then she would be free to travel and collect her parent's estate.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

I want to ask you a few questions before I provide the answer.

Do you know this person personally or did you meet online only?

Are you being asked for money to pay this alleged debt and promised money if you do this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know this person online only. Yes. I am being asked to pay the debt.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No.
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

I have some bad news for you. This is actually a very well known internet scam. I get questions almost identical to yours several times a week,

This person is not legitimate. You are the victim of a scam and I hope you have not given them any money yet because it is lost.

In terms of your actual question, no, the beneficiary would never be liable for the debt and no that is nonsense about any papers.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.