Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Can the landlord say i can no longer smoke in my resaidence

Customer Question

can the landlord say i can no longer smoke in my resaidence after i have lived here for 11 years
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: ont
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no she just gave me a letter to sign that she typed up
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry you are in this difficult situation.

Is your smoking disturbing another tenant?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no she smokes
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

The landlord cannot evict you for smoking in your home.

This is only grounds for eviction if the lease states you cannot smoke or if your smoking is a nuisance to some other tenant.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
she gave us a letter to sign that says effective immediately i signed under duress
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

You should not have signed but if she takes you to the landlord tenant board for an eviction order you will say you signed as you were forced to and you do not want to leave and will smoke and this is simply not a ground for eviction. The law is clear.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
great, thank you
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

If we are done please rate me so that I can get paid. The site will not release my portion of what you paid me until you do.

That means you have to click on the stars!

Thanks and enjoy your weekend.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.